Here is a list of the major developments in the coronavirus epidemic facing San Diego County, updated at 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 23.
• There have been 6,559 cases and 249 deaths among San Diego County residents as of Saturday afternoon.
• Across California there have been 90,631 cases and 3,708 deaths as of Saturday afternoon.
• Across the United States, there have been 1,618,471 cases and 96,875 deaths as of Saturday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins University.
• The San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency reported 125 new cases of coronavirus and seven more deaths from the pandemic disease.
• The Rancho Santa Fe-based Freedom of Conscience Defense Fund filed an emergency motion with the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of South Bay United Pentecostal Church seeking an injunction to block Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order to temporarily stop in-person church services.
• President Trump has called for the immediate resumption of in-person worship. But at least two San Diego clerics assert that spiritual work isn’t on lockdown despite empty pews.
• As San Diegans headed for area beaches on the start of the Memorial Day weekend, Lifeguard Services officials said beachgoers seemed to be following county health guidelines issued to slow the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
• The COVID-19 pandemic has altered but not fundamentally changed California lawmakers’ plans to create more housing in the state.
• Some major shopping malls in the San Diego area reopened amid easing COVID-19 restrictions while others will reopen next week.
• Baseball’s players and owners continue to negotiate over when – or even if – the 2020 season will begin.
• The USS Midway Museum will be using Facebook for live programming on Sunday and Memorial Day to commemorate the brave men and women who gave their lives for our country.
• State Sen. Patricia Bates writes that the California Legislature must act prudently to protect essential state services which cutting the budget.
If your organization has relevant news to add to this daily list, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.