Here is a list of the major developments in the coronavirus epidemic facing San Diego County, updated at 9:15 p.m. on Monday, May 4.
• There have been 4,020 cases and 144 deaths among San Diego County residents as of Monday afternoon.
• Across California there have been 54,937 cases and 2,254 deaths as of Monday afternoon.
• Across the United States, there have been 1,176,905 cases and 68,387 deaths as of Monday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins University.
• Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that California will allow some “lower-risk” retail stores to reopen with restricted operations later this week.
• San Diego county and city leaders unveiled a plan that will allow local businesses to safely reopen and operate once state public health restrictions are lifted.
• San Diego County public health officials reported 93 new coronavirus cases and five deaths and announced the opening of three drive-up testing centers.
• City beaches in Carlsbad, Del Mar and Solana Beach reopened in limited fashion along with nearby state beaches in Torrey Pines and Carlsbad.
• The nomadic “van life” community has suddenly found its way of life rendered impossible by the pandemic, as the virus shuts campgrounds, parks and support services.
• San Diego’s top chefs are dishing out on how to make some of their most popular and delectable dishes. Here are entrees shared by chefs Kathryn Dew of The Waterfront Grill at Pier 32 Marina, Brad Wise of Trust, and Maria Pourteymour of Luna Grill.
• Feeding San Diego has purchased 125 truckloads of food since March 14 to meet a countywide surge in demand due to the COVID-19 crisis. The organization normally purchases approximately 24 truckloads in an entire year.
• The San Diego Foundation announced the COVID-19 Community Response Fund has reached $10.8 million in donations.
• Jeff Holman writes that the move by many European countries to fall in-line with Sweden and rapidly reopen schools and businesses is becoming hard to ignore.
If your organization has relevant news to add to this daily list, please send to email@example.com.