“We are extremely grateful for the support of the Port of San Diego and the partnership that has developed throughout this very important process,” said Symphony CEO Martha Gilmer. “The approval of the coastal development permit is a critical step toward making Bayside Performance Park a reality.”
The port’s board also adopted a master plan amendment that is required for the project in order to address public access, programming, park mitigation, lighting and sea level rise adaptations.
The project has been described as a “park within a park” that will include a new band shell, permanent restrooms and new public areas at Embarcadero Marina Park South on the San Diego Bay waterfront.
““We cannot wait for locals and visitors from around the world to enjoy this park within a park and the beautiful sounds of the San Diego Symphony and other performances from a new, state-of-the art venue,” said Port Board Chair Rafael Castellanos.
Since 2004, the symphony has assembled and disassembled a temporary stage in the park for its Bayside Summer Nights concert series. The planned permanent venue would be open to the general public for 85 percent of the year, with programming involving paid admission or rental events limited to the remaining 15 percent.
“The San Diego Symphony is a pillar of our arts community and has been performing in its temporary location for more than a decade. With a new permanent home, this stage will add to San Diego’s growing list of can’t-miss arts and culture experiences, attract thousands of people to the waterfront each year and provide a permanent venue worthy of the San Diego Symphony’s world-class reputation,” said Mayor Kevin Faulconer after the port vote.
Construction of the new venue is expected to start after the fall of 2019.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: