Story updated at 11:45 a.m. Oct. 28, 2014
A $5.9 million legal settlement for a woman who was sexually assaulted by a then-San Diego police officer in the Gaslamp Quarter three years ago was given unanimous final approval by the City Council Tuesday.
The settlement, outlined last month, brings to an end to civil litigation involving former SDPD Officer Anthony Arevalos, who was convicted of felony counts involving the woman and several other victims and sentenced to prison.
The woman, identified throughout the proceedings as Jane Doe, testified in Arevalos’ criminal trial that he forced her into a convenience store restroom in March 2011 and demanded that she give him her panties and show her breasts. He also placed his finger in her vaginal area, she said.
The city’s insurance carriers will pick up around $5.7 million of the settlement, leaving the city to pay around $200,000, City Attorney Jan Goldsmith said. He said that in all the Arevalos cases combined, including 14 settlements and expenses, the city had to shell out around $4 million.
“I think we can acknowledge the end of an unfortunate circumstance,” City Council President Todd Gloria said. “I want to thank (SDPD Chief Shelley Zimmerman) and our city attorney for achieving a settlement — that thanks to the use of our insurance — will be able to minimize the direct impacts to our taxpayers.”
—City News Service