ESPN ranked six Los Angeles Chargers among the 100 players their experts expect to have the most impact in 2019.
The Chargers open their season at 1 p.m. Sunday at home against the Indianapolis Colts.
The players, in the order they appeared on ESPN’s list, along with their 2018 ranking:
- Philip Rivers, quarterback, No. 17, up from 45.
- Joey Bosa, defensive end, No. 25, down from 14.
- Keenan Allen, wide receiver, No. 43, up from 53.
- Melvin Gordon, running back, No. 60, up from 72.
- Melvin Ingram, defensive end, No. 62, down from 55.
- Casey Hayward Jr., cornerback, No. 87 down from 66.
Local resident, quarterback Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints, held the No. 11 spot.
ESPN’s top-ranked players include Aaron Donald, the Los Angeles Rams’ defensive tackle, Patrick Mahomes, the Kansas City Chiefs’ quarterback and Khalil Mack, the Chicago Bears’ outside linebacker.
The Chargers are set to begin their third season in Carson since departing San Diego after the 2016 season.
The team is also marking its 60th anniversary by calling on fans to vote on top moments in Charger history.
60 seasons. 4 moments. 1 vote.
— Los Angeles Chargers (@Chargers) September 5, 2019
– Staff reports
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: