Troy Terry (19) in his debut as a San Diego Gull. Photo courtesy of the San Diego Gulls

Troy Terry scored twice, including the tie-breaking goal with one minute, 57 seconds to play, and assisted on a third goal in his debut with the San Diego Gulls in a 4-2 victory over the Milwaukee Admirals on Friday evening at the Valley View Casino Center.

Terry took a pass from Sam Carrick and put a shot from between the faceoff circles past Tom McCollum for the power-play goal that gave the Gulls a 3-2 lead.

“Sam carried the puck all the way up,” Terry said. “I was ahead of him so I tried to get to the wall and let him attack the middle and he made a good move on the guy at the blue line and he created space and he kicked it out to me.

“Once I got the puck in the slot I tried to corral it. I ended up with an open shot in front. I closed my eyes and let it go.”

Giovanni Fiore scored an empty-net goal with 48 seconds left to seal the Gulls first regulation victory of the season.

Terry, a 21-year-old right wing who was a member of the 2018 U.S. Olympic team, was assigned to the Gulls earlier Friday after going scoreless in six games for their NHL parent team, the Anaheim Ducks.

“This is my first year of pro hockey and mentality is the biggest thing,” said Terry, chosen by the Ducks in the fifth round of the 2015 NHL draft, the 148th overall selection. “I’ve been trying to adjust to that. I wasn’t playing bad hockey when I was up there, I just wasn’t playing at the level I know I can play at.

“A big part of my game is producing and I was starting to get frustrated and starting to change who I was. So that’s kind of why I am down here, just to find myself again and get that confidence back as a player, and that was something I was excited for.”

Terry gave the Gulls a 2-0 lead 3:55 into the second period when he put a backhanded shot past McCollum. Logan Shaw opened the scoring 1:28 into the second period off assists by Terry and Simon Benoit.

The Gulls were awarded a penalty shot when Fiore was hooked on a breakaway 4:28 into the second period. McCollum made a glove save on the penalty shot.

Milwaukee (4-1-1-0) tied the score on second-period goals by Tanner Jeannot and Yakov Trenin before a crowd announced at 8,237.

The Gulls (2-2-0-0) killed all five of the Admirals power-play opportunities and scored on the last of their six.

The Gulls were outshot, 34-29, including 12-8 and 14-10 deficits in the second and third periods.

Gulls goaltender Kevin Boyle (1-1-0-0) made 32 saves. McCollum (1-1-1- 0) made 25 for Milwaukee, the Nashville Predators American Hockey League affiliate.

Rookie left wing Max Jones also made his 2018-19 regular-season debut with the Gulls, a day after being loaned to them by the Ducks. Jones had a plus- two rating as he was on the ice for the Gulls first two goals.

Jones had a goal and an assist in nine playoff games with the Gulls in 2017.

The Gulls played without four players who played in their last game, a 6-5 shootout victory over the Ontario Reign Saturday.

Center Joseph Blandisi and right wing Pontus Aberg were recalled by the Ducks, center Mitch Hults was recalled by the Ducks and traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for future considerations and left wing Jack Kopacka suffered a wrist laceration from a severe cut when he was checked by an Ontario forward and fell where a skate accidentally cut.

Kopacka will be out indefinitely until further evaluation.

Center Jake Marchment participated in the Gulls first fight of the season, brawling with Admirals right wing Mathieu Olivier. Both players received five-minute major penalties for fighting.

The Gulls will continue their four-game homestand Saturday night against the Bakersfield Condors, the Edmonton Oilers AHL affiliate, at the Valley View Casino Center.

— City News Service

Show comments