While San Diego football fans wait to see if the Chargers apply for relocation with the National Football League Monday, they learned that Mike McCoy will be retained as head coach.
In a statement released via the Chargers’ official website and social media, President of Football Operations John Spanos said the team’s general manager, Tom Telesco, would also stay.
The announcement came one day after the Chargers completed the 2015 season with a win-loss record of 4-12, finishing in last place in the AFC West by three games.
Spanos wrote that he was disappointed by the season’s outcome.
“I have the utmost confidence in our leadership,” Spanos said. “Tom Telesco, Mike McCoy, and I have already begun evaluating every aspect of the team to take the essential steps to put a winning product back on the field. We will waste no time in making the necessary changes.”
He said Chargers players “never wavered in their dedication or commitment to the team” despite the losing season.
“I firmly believe the decisions made today and moving forward will get us back on track in 2016,” Spanos said.
The Chargers are one of three teams expected to file applications today with the league office to move to the potentially lucrative Los Angeles market, along with the Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams.
San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis leaders last week sent league executives plans for new stadiums meant to entice their teams to stay in their current locations.
NFL owners are scheduled to meet in Houston next week, and could begin making decisions on which team, or teams, are allowed to relocate.
—City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: