Planned Parenthood rally
Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards during a rally in Washington D.C. Courtesy Planned Parenthood

President Trump is expected to unveil more details of his anti-abortion proposal during a keynote speech Tuesday night before the Susan B. Anthony List, a political action committee that opposes abortion, according to several media reports.

The administration’s plan was officially announced Friday, with White House staff saying the president wants to bar health clinics that provide abortion services from receiving federal family planning funds.

If implemented, the move would strip Planned Parenthood and other women’s health centers of millions of dollars a year under the national Title X program.

California Senate President pro Tempore Toni Atkins (D-San Diego) issued a fiery statement in response to Friday’s news.

“This rule is an outright assault on the fundamental rights and freedoms of women across America,” she said. “It will prevent doctors, nurses and healthcare providers from doing their jobs and result in millions of women going without the basic healthcare they need.

“We’ve reached the absolute rock-bottom of hypocrisy when this President, with his laundry-list of indiscretions, would dare to deny family-planning services to millions of Americans on the grounds that it is immoral,” she continued. “I stand in unflinching support of Planned Parenthood and the millions of Americans who demand the freedom to control their own reproductive health.”

In addition to providing affordable birth control to all people, the Title X program also helps fund basic, preventive, reproductive healthcare, such as birth control, cancer screenings, STD testing and treatment.

According to statistics from Atkins’ office, the Title X serves 4 million people each year, 25 percent of whom reside in California.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement Friday the proposal will “ensure that taxpayers do not indirectly fund abortions” and that Trump “is pleased to support” it.

Three days prior to the White House plan rollout, a coalition of 19 states led by California filed court papers to block the action, according to California Attorney General Xavier Becerra.

The states filed the amicus brief in support of a lawsuit filed by multiple Planned Parenthood branches asking for a preliminary injunction.

It’s unclear if Trump will address his proposal’s legal complexities during Tuesday night’s gala.

“President Donald Trump is governing as the most pro-life president in our nation’s history and Susan B. Anthony List is honored to receive him at our annual Campaign for Life Gala,” according to a quote in The Hill from Susan B. Anthony List president Marjorie Dannenfelser.

“President Trump has diligently and successfully gone about fulfilling his promises to the pro-life voters who worked so hard to elect him, and it has been a privilege to stand with him to defend the innocent unborn,” she added.

Last year, Vice President Mike Pence spoke at the gala.

–Staff

Show comments