San Diego’s Fleet Week military tribute is coming in September with a month’s worth of family-friendly festivities for military-only audiences as well as numerous events open to the public.
The Fleet Week Sea Air Parade is coming back into San Diego Bay with the best of the U.S. military on display and in action on Sept. 10, according to Elisabeth Handley of the Fleet Week Foundation. The parade will run the length of San Diego Bay, beginning at Shelter Island with viewing areas all along the bayfront, from noon until 2 p.m. For the first time since 2008, amphibious ships, destroyers, Marine counter-measure ships, submarines and ships from the Coast Guard and Canadian Navy will participate.
In addition, there will be amphibious landing craft and demonstrations of SEAL capabilities, Coast Guard Search and Rescue efforts, and fly-overs of Navy aircraft and the rarely seen Marine F-35 fighter jet, Handley said.
On Sept. 10 and 11, the Broadway and B Street Piers will host a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Fair, ship tours, live music, food, static displays and kids zone from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Ship tours will be open from Sept. 10-14, also from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Broadway and B Street Piers. To kick it off, Fleet Week is hosting a Party at the Pier on Friday, Sept. 9 at 4:30 pm featuring live music, food trucks and a beer garden at B Street Pier.
The Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival, or “The Race at the Base,” will be held Sept. 17-18. Grand Marshal Gary Sinise and the Lt. Dan Band will perform in concert Saturday at noon.
Naval Air Station North Island will be open to the public, allowing an unusual opportunity to visit a working U.S. Navy base.
Members of the U.S. military are the primary honorees of these events but the local community is welcome and invited to enjoy many of these activities:
- Fleet Week Overboard Concert: Sept. 2, doors open 7 p.m., House of
- Military Family Tailgate: Sept. 3, 3-4:30 p.m., Qualcomm Stadium.
- Fleet Week Golf Tournament: Sept. 9, 11 a.m., Admiral Baker Golf Course.
- Party on the Pier: Sept. 9, 4:30 p.m., B Street Pier.
- Fleet Week Sea Air Parade: Sept. 10, noon-2 p.m., San Diego Bay.
- Ship Tours: Sept. 10-14, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Broadway Pier.
- STEM Fair: Sept. 10-11, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Broadway Pier.
- Fleet Week Football Classic: Sept. 10, 7:30 p.m., Qualcomm Stadium.
- Fleet Week Foundation/SDMAC Breakfast: Sept. 14, Admiral Kidd Conference Center.
- Enlisted Recognition Luncheon: Sept. 15, 11:45 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Sea World.
- Coronado Speed Festival Car Procession: Sept. 15, 4:30 p.m., Rotary
- Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival: Sept. 17-18 – Naval Air Station North Island.
- MCAS Miramar Air Show: Sept. 23-25, Gates open 8 a.m. daily, MCAS Miramar.
- MCRD Boot Camp Challenge: Oct. 1, 9 a.m., MCRD San Diego.
- Cabrillo Festival: Oct. 1, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Navy Base Pt. Loma.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: