Here is a list of the major developments in the coronavirus epidemic facing San Diego County, updated at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday.
• There have been 1,326 cases of coronavirus disease and 19 deaths among San Diego County residents as of Sunday afternoon.
• Across California there have been 13,438 confirmed cases and 319 deaths as of Sunday afternoon.
• Coronavirus cases in San Diego County are doubling every five days, but it’s an encouraging sign that they aren’t growing any faster, county officials said Sunday.
• Marines at Camp Pendleton have been ordered to follow California’s “shelter in place” guidelines and face severe penalties if they don’t, according to the military base’s commanding general.
• Palomar Medical Center in Escondido will host a 250-bed federal medical station in preparation for a rapid increase in COVID-19 patients.
• The commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, who was fired for warning about a coronavirus outbreak on the San Diego-based aircraft carrier, now has the disease.
• Tom Dempsey, the NFL’s longtime record holder for longest field goal and a former San Dieguito high school and Palomar College student, has died of complications from the coronavirus at the age of 73.
• The coronavirus pandemic is affecting all ages in San Diego County and appearing in every part of the county as cases and testing increase in this analysis of the latest data.
• The popular Encinitas Bro-Am surf and music festival hosted by rock band Switchfoot was canceled as the new coronavirus continues to spread throughout the world.
• San Diego County officials are urging residents to take an online pledge to stay home and save lives and then share their pledge on social media.
• In light of news that a Bronx Zoo tiger tested positive for coronavirus, the Bobbi Brink of Lions Tigers & Bears sanctuary in Alpine said the sanctuary has stepped up efforts to disinfect and sanitize all areas of the sanctuary and its animal habitats.
If your organization has relevant news to add to this daily list, please send to email@example.com.