Here is a list of the major developments in the coronavirus epidemic facing San Diego County, updated at 8:45 p.m. on Saturday.
• There have been 488 cases of coronavirus disease and seven deaths among San Diego County residents as of late Saturday afternoon.
• Across California there have been 4,643 cases and 101 deaths as of Saturday afternoon.
• San Diego County health officials reported Saturday that a seventh county resident has died from coronavirus as the number of cases increased by 71 to 488.
• California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti issued dire warnings that the nation’s second-largest city is headed for the same surge in COVID-19 cases as New York City after a 26% increase in California deaths in one day.
• The advertised start for Saturday’s free food distribution at SDCCU Stadium was 9 a.m. But the demand was so great that hundreds of cars arriving after that time were turned away.
• The San Diego City Attorney’s Office has petitioned an appellate court to reinstate its injunction against grocery delivery company Instacart, which the city alleged misclassified its employees as independent contractors, and now places Instacart‘s workforce at greater risk because of the coronavirus pandemic.
• Rev. Shane Harris shares his current conditions in the second Times of San Diego interview on how prominent San Diegans are navigating the COVID-19 crisis.
• Amid coastal city limits to control crowds and coronavirus, San Diegans in small numbers are escaping to the snow-dusted Laguna Mountains.
• A crew member of the Disney Wonder cruise ship that had earlier discharged passengers tested positive of COVID-19 and was hospitalized.
• Residents of Alpine, Descanso, Pine Valley and other back country communities in East County can receive free dog food at Natural Instincts Healthy Pet Center in Alpine.
• One piece of good news is that gas prices have dropped to the lowest level since the end of 2017.
If your organization has relevant news to add to this daily list, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: