A man who shot and wounded a woman last year near National City Golf Course and then holed up in a home during a three-hour SWAT standoff was sentenced Thursday to 15 years in state prison.
Raymond Milam Magana, 38, pleaded guilty in February to a pair of assault with a deadly weapon counts in connection with last April’s shooting at a residence in the 2800 block of Prospect Street.
Several other charges, including attempted murder, false imprisonment and possession of a firearm, were dismissed at sentencing.
It happened the afternoon of April 2, 2018, when police received word of gunfire in the unincorporated Lincoln Acres area, San Diego Sheriff’s Detective Jason Phillips said. By 4 p.m., responding deputies learned the wounded victim had already been taken to nearby Paradise Valley Hospital, but believed Magana was “still armed inside the residence.”
At the time, police said the unidentified victim was hospitalized in serious condition.
A sheriff’s SWAT team was called to the scene after several unsuccessful attempts to contact Magana by phone and persuade him to surrender, Phillips said. Residents in the area were told to shelter in place while the standoff was underway.
Just before 7 p.m., the SWAT team took Magana into custody at his front door, Phillips said. During the arrest, Magana sustained minor injuries and was treated at a hospital before being booked into jail.
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: