Alvin Ray Quarles. Photo via state
Alvin Ray Quarles. Photo via state Department of Corrections

Behind closed doors, attorneys Wednesday discussed what evidence will be permitted for a determination on whether a sexually violent predator known as the “Bolder-Than-Most” rapist should be placed back into the community, where he would continue treatment under a conditional release program.

Last fall, San Diego County Superior Court Judge David M. Gill ordered that Alvin Ray Quarles, 56, be released to a home in Jacumba Hot Springs, a decision that prosecutors, along with county Supervisor Dianne Jacob, requested that Gill reconsider. Since that time, the agreement to rent the residence has fallen through, and Gill has allowed for further argument from both sides, leading to a possible reconsideration of his decision to release Quarles.

During a Wednesday morning hearing that was closed to the general public, attorneys jockeyed over whether the contents of a new supplemental report from Coalinga State Hospital will factor into the decision to release Quarles.

The substance of the report, which was drafted last December, remains under seal. Gill also ordered that due to the “sensitive nature” of the topics to be discussed Wednesday, the general public was not permitted to enter the courtroom.

An evidentiary hearing, during which attorneys will argue for and against releasing Quarles, is tentatively slated to begin May 16. It remains unknown whether the public will be allowed to attend the evidentiary hearing later this year.

Citizens’ group Your Voice Has Power, which advocates against the release of sexually violent predators, said they attended court Wednesday in support of Quarles’ victims and expressed frustration over the furtive nature of the proceedings.

“We’re trying to be here to be supportive and we get down here, and they close the courtrooms. I believe that the evidence in these cases, the community needs to know,” the group’s director, Terri Larson, said. “We’re the ones that are going to be affected by this, our children, our families.”

Quarles was dubbed the “Bolder-Than-Most” rapist because of the way he attacked his victims, at knifepoint, sometimes forcing the women’s husbands or boyfriends to watch.

He pleaded guilty in 1989 to committing more than a dozen sexual assaults in the mid-to-late 1980s and was sentenced to 50 years in prison.

Prior to Quarles’ release from prison, the District Attorney’s Office filed a petition to have him civilly committed as a sexually violent predator.

In 2014, Quarles was committed to the Department of State Hospitals to undergo sex offender treatment. In September 2016, Quarles petitioned the court to be granted release through the Conditional Release Program for sex offenders.

— City News Service