Authorities identified Jack Henry Doshay as the kidnapping suspect. He's currently in custody. Photo courtesy of the San Diego Sheriff's Department
Authorities identified Jack Henry Doshay as the kidnapping suspect. He’s currently in custody. Photo courtesy of the San Diego Sheriff’s Department

Bail was set a $2.5 million Friday for a young man accused of trying to duct tape and kidnap a 7-year-old girl at her Solana Beach school last month.

Jack Henry Doshay, 22, of Fairbanks Ranch, had been held without bail since his arrest April 1 in the alleged abduction attempt a week earlier. Prosecutors on Friday asked that Doshay be held on $25 million bail.

Vista Superior Court Judge William Gentry said that if Doshay posts the bail, he must be taken immediately to an in-patient psychological facility, wear a GPS anklet 24 hours a day, surrender his passport and refrain from driving.

On the afternoon of March 23, Doshay allegedly grabbed the girl at Skyline Elementary School, clapped a hand over her mouth, tried to put packing tape onto her face and ordered her to get into his silver-and-black SUV.

When she struggled and fought back, the would-be abductor let her go, returned to his vehicle and drove off, authorities said.

Detectives followed up on about 150 tips in the case before tracking down the suspect in Orange County with information provided by his attorney, Paul Pfingst.

Doshay pleaded not guilty Friday to charges of kidnapping, false imprisonment and child cruelty. He faces 11 years in prison if convicted.

An affidavit in support of an arrest warrant states that Doshay’s father Glenn — a minority owner of the San Diego Padres — told his son’s therapist two days after the alleged abduction attempt that he suspected his son was involved.

A readiness conference was set for May 6 and a preliminary hearing for May 28.

— City News Service