Arraignment was postponed Monday to March 17 for a deaf man who drove through a crowd at the “Zombie Walk” during last year’s Comic-Con convention, injuring a woman.
Matthew Pocci was charged last month with reckless driving resulting in serious injury and had been scheduled to enter a plea to the charge Monday. But his arraignment was delayed a week because no sign language interpreter was available.
As the “Zombie Walk” was under way last July 26 at the intersection of Island and Second avenues, a woman suffered a broken arm when she was struck by a black Honda sedan driven by Pocci.
Cellphone video showed Pocci’s car inching into a crowd at the intersection and him driving away as the crowd surrounded him.
Pocci stayed at the scene and was not initially cited, but the District Attorney’s Office reviewed the case and decided it warranted a felony charge.
In an online interview, Pocci said he feared for his safety during the incident in which people were jumping on and punching his car. Pocci said someone even opened the back door, and he was scared for himself, his girlfriend and a 9-year-old boy in the vehicle.
Pocci’s attorney, Ashby Sorensen, said outside court today that the ordeal had to be terrifying for his client.
“If you see the video, and you have a guy and his woman … that are deaf and you have a swarm a mob of people around your car, who would you think?” Sorensen said. “If people are hitting your car, there’s kind of a mob mentality going on, it looks like. I mean, how would you feel if you’re in your car with your kids?”
Pocci has filed a claim alleging the city of San Diego created dangerous conditions during an unpermitted event.
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: