The Sun of Southwestern College won two Best of Show awards Sunday on the final day of a national journalism convention.

David McVicker, editor-in-chief, accepted the awards for special section and best weekly paper by a two-year school. The student newspaper at the Chula Vista school is advised by Professor Max Branscomb.

Sun editor David McVicker accepts a Best of Show trophy at Associated Collegiate Press convention in San Diego.

The awards were announced by Diana Mitsu Klos, executive director of Associated Collegiate Press. Student papers at Palomar College in San Marcos and UC San Diego also won recognition. A list of winners — limited to schools attending the meeting of workshops, critiques and keynote addresses — has been posted.

About 700 students and faculty advisers attended the group’s 30th annual convention, held Thursday through Sunday at the Catamaran Resort Hotel in Mission Beach.

Among the highlights of the convention were keynote addresses by Margaret Sullivan, public editor of The New York Times (see it here) and Robert Hernandez, professor of journalism at USC. Hernandez gave his talk virtually, however. He later summarized the exchange via Storify.

With his flight to San Diego grounded in Chicago, Hernandez posted a video greeting to students and answered questions via Twitter while aboard an airplane bound for the convention.

Sullivan also answered student questions, including whether they should develop their own “brand” online.

But she had strong feelings on the subject, saying: “You’re not Nate Silver (the election-data blogger who left the Times for ESPN). … There’s nothing more off-putting than hearing a young journalist talk about their personal brand.”

Show comments