San Diego Gas & Electric filed a series of proposals with the California Public Utilities Commission to install tens of thousands of electric charging stations in key areas to encourage the transition to zero-emission electric vehicles.
If the proposals are approved, additional electric charging stations would be installed at San Diego International Airport, Port of San Diego, for delivery fleets, taxi/rideshare, Park-and-Rides and residential homes throughout the region. These programs would build upon the company’s efforts to install electric charging infrastructure at 350 apartments, condos and businesses as part of the Power Your Drive program.
The filing is in response to Senate Bill 350, which recognized the vital role energy companies will play in widespread transportation electrification by installing and expanding the charging network and other necessary infrastructure.
“SDG&E has spent more than a decade reducing our carbon footprint through the rapid expansion of clean energy. We all want to breathe cleaner air, which means slowing down the impacts of climate change will require an increased focus on the areas that produce the most harmful emissions,” said Caroline Winn, the utility’s chief operating officer. “We are committed as a business and a community partner to improving lives by developing meaningful solutions.”
The larger residential project would focus on customer homes and smart charging with special EV rates to encourage off-peak charging.
Highlights of the proposals include:
- Residential Charging Program: Installation of up to 90,000 charging stations at single-family homes throughout the company’s service area
- Airport Electrification: Installation of up to 45 charging ports to enable electrification of approximately 90 new pieces of ground support equipment at San Diego International Airport
- Port Electrification: Installation of several electric vehicle charging stations and research meters to study the charging habits of heavy and medium-duty electric trucks and forklifts at the Port of San Diego
- Fleet Delivery Trucks: Installation of grid-integrated charging stations for about 90 fleet delivery vehicles at approximately six business locations
- Electrify Local Highways: Grid-integrated charging infrastructure to four Park-and-Ride locations
- Green Taxi/Rideshare/Shuttles: Incentives to purchase electric taxis and shuttles and install charging stations at five locations frequently traveled by taxis, shuttles and rideshare vehicles. Fifty EV drivers from rideshare companies would receive fueling credits on their electric bills.
— City News Service