Lucas Johnson preparing to make the game-winning pass in double overtime Friday. Photo credit: @Aztec_FB, via Twitter

San Diego State, locked in a low-scoring affair with San Jose State, did not have a touchdown to show for four quarters of effort Friday.

They prevailed though in double overtime, 19-13, thanks to two late touchdown passes by Lucas Johnson, both to wide receiver Jesse Matthews.

With the win, the No. 24 Aztecs stayed perfect at 6-0, locking down a victory in their second OT thriller of the season.

Coach Brady Hoke acknowledged it was perhaps “not-so-pretty” a win, yet a win it was.

SDSU and San Jose State (3-4) entered the OT period tied at 6 and the Aztecs struck first, capping a four-play drive with a 14-yard pass from Johnson to Matthews.

The Spartans answered though, as quarterback Nick Nash immediately completed a 25-yard pass to Derrick Deese Jr. leading to SDSU giving up their first rushing TD of the year.

With the game knotted at 13 in double OT, though, Nash, attempting to reach Deese in the end zone, found Trenton Thompson instead.

With the interception, Johnson took over and three plays later sent a 24-yard pass in Matthews’ direction for the win.

Johnson had taken over for starter Jordon Brookshire, who was held to 132 yards on 13 passes.

“We just thought we were a little stagnant and we needed to do something different,” Hoke said of the switch to Johnson in the 4th quarter.

Johnson drove the Aztecs to victory in their Sept. 18 triple OT win, over Utah.

“Any overtime, we know we’re going to rally and we’re gonna play for each other,” Johnson told CBS Sports Network.

It was a kicker’s game in regulation as Matt Araiza – after a scoreless 1st quarter – made a 53-yard field goal, the longest of his college career, to put the Aztecs ahead 3-0 in the 2nd.

Spartan kicker Matt Mercurio matched him with a 32-yard field goal to briefly tie the game. Then Araiza hit another field goal – from a far easier distance of 26 yards – less than a minute before the break.

Early in the 4th quarter the teams drew even again when Mercurio nailed a 48-yarder.

Mercurio, however, missed the potential game winner, a 52-yard attempt with 15 seconds left on the clock. His kick went wide right, taking the game to OT.

San Diego State remains on the road next week. The team travels to Colorado Springs for a Mountain West showdown against Air Force at 4 p.m. Oct. 23.

The Falcons are 5-1 going into their Saturday contest with Boise State.

Show comments