An attorney for the San Diego Chargers who met with a task force that will make recommendations for siting and financing a new football stadium Monday released a list of guiding principles.
Mark Fabiani, the Chargers point man in their long search for a new playing facility, said in the six-page statement the nine-member task force should resist pressure “to make a proposal simply for the sake of making a proposal.” The team understood there might not be a publicly acceptable solution, and the task force may come to the same conclusion.
Fabiani also warned that the Chargers would not take part “in any effort to provide political cover for elected officials.”
The eventual proposal must have a strong chance of voter approval, be supported by city officials and consider the economics of the NFL and San Diego, such as limited preferred seat licenses. Funding should also be comparable other cities building stadiums.
The plan would also have to be “implemented by the people now in elected office.”
“The Chargers do not intend to waste years of time and millions of dollars on a proposal that city leaders simply do not have the capacity to actually implement,” Fabiani said.
In closing, Fabiani said that in the two decades that Los Angeles and Orange County had been without NFL teams, the Chargers had won fans and business partners there. If another team swoops into those markets, most of that business would disappear — putting the team at a “significant competitive economic disadvantage.”
“We are keeping a close eye on developments in L.A. We do not have a choice but to also monitor and evaluate our options there,” he said. “Simply put, it would be irresponsible for the Chargers not to be taking every possible step to protect the future of the franchise.”
Task force member Jim Steeg, a former NFL executive and ex-Chargers chief operating officer, said that while the Chargers are a part of the stadium conversation, they aren’t the only part.
“This is about something for everybody,” Steeg said.
“The focus has been 10 NFL games a year, or hopefully, 11 or 12 with the playoffs,” he said. “The idea is this is about a venue about umpteen events during a year.”
Steeg said other events would include San Diego State football games, bowl games, the College Football Playoff National Championship and soccer games.
Mayor Kevin Faulconer appointed the task force last month, with an eye toward developing a plan by this fall. That would give city officials time to put together a ballot measure for 2016.
Last week, Faulconer also made public various documents related to the Chargers’ search for a new facility to replace aging Qualcomm Stadium.
The documents are located on the website for the city’s Real Estate Assets Department. The links will be found by clicking “Related Links” and then “Stadium Information and Research.”
Steeg and task force Chairman Adam Day said an open meeting will be scheduled in a few weeks to take public input.
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: