Rep. Scott Peters blasted President Trump’s plan to end foreign aid to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador in response to the so-called migrant “caravan” currently in Mexico and apparently headed toward the American border.
“I learned U.S. foreign aid is essential to promoting stability, economic growth, and prosperity when I visited Central and South America in August,” said Peters, who represents the 52nd District. “It is clear that cuts to U.S. foreign aid will only exacerbate the economic conditions that lead to unemployment and criminal activity that drive people to our borders.”
Trump said earlier this week that if Central American countries do not stop their citizens from leaving, he will cut off foreign aid. He has also threatened to deploy the U.S. military and close the southern border.
Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador were not able to do the job of stopping people from leaving their country and coming illegally to the U.S. We will now begin cutting off, or substantially reducing, the massive foreign aid routinely given to them.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 22, 2018
Estimates of the number of people in the group heading to the United States vary from 4,000 to 7,000. Many appear to be women and children.
In Fiscal Year 2017, according to Peters’ office, the United States provided foreign aid of $538 million to Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala combined.
“The president has spent months demanding billions for a border wall, which will not fix our broken immigration system,” Peters said Wednesday. “Instead, we need to address the reasons women and children flee their homes in search of a better life.”
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: