Councilman Mark Kersey spearheaded the purple pipe water recycling project. Photo by Chris Stone

Recycled water will be available to San Diego water customers for free beginning this Saturday morning in Scripps Ranch, according to city officials.

The city of San Diego’s public utilities department will offer the water from a fill station at 10137 Meanley Drive on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The water is available at no extra charge to city water customers who present valid billing documentation.

“Our purple pipe recycled water system is a great resource and this program will give all water customers the opportunity to tap into it,” City Councilman Mark Kersey said.

Kersey proposed the idea to the public utilities department after seeing several other municipalities in California launch similar projects in response to drought-related water restrictions.

Recycled water can be used for landscape irrigation, and washing outdoor furniture, vehicles and hard outdoor surfaces, such as driveways and walls.

”San Diegans have done a tremendous job conserving water,” Halla Razak, public utilities director, said.

“We hope our residents can take advantage of this new opportunity to care for their trees and landscaping, further maintaining their quality of life in San Diego.”

On-site attendants will be available at the residential fill station to assist customers. Participants must bring containers with watertight lids with a storage capacity of less than 300 gallons in size.

“All City PUD customers are eligible to receive up to 300 gallons which can be used to water plants/landscaping, and wash outdoor furniture, vehicles and other hard surfaces like driveways,” said Kersey in a Facebook post.

To receive the recycled water, city water customers are required to bring a printout or phone screenshot of their public utilities department billing statement, valid identification with an address matching the billing statement and a signed copy of the Residential Recycled Water Use Application and Agreement Form.

More information and the application form are available at

City News Service contributed to this post.

Show comments