The Navy’s Blue Angels flight demonstration team was again the big draw Friday as the Miramar Air Show launched its three-day run with the theme “A Salute to Vietnam Veterans.”
“Our goal is to remind the veterans that the country cares about them and truly values the sacrifice they made for the American people, regardless of how they were treated when they originally returned from Vietnam,” said Col. Jason Woodworth, commanding officer of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.
Unlike previous years, where temperatures reached triple digits, thousands enjoyed cooler weather in the 70s on Day 1.
The air show is free, but upgraded seating options are on sale.
See photo gallery of Day 1 below
Gates open at 8 a.m. Saturday and Sunday, with performances starting at 9 a.m. The Blue Angels fly from 2:05 to 3:05 p.m., according to the posted schedule.
For ticket and additional information, call the Public Affairs Office at 858-577-6000, follow on Twitter @MCASMiramarCA, or visit the air show website.
- Be prepared to show a Photo ID to expedite your access into the Air Show.
- You can carry keys, makeup, feminine products, comb, phone, wallet, credit cards, etc. in your pockets if you choose not to put them in a clear bag or clutch.
- You can bring binoculars and/or cameras.
- One large clear bag per person is allowed.
- Either a one-gallon Ziploc style bag, or commercially purchased clear bag – plus a small clutch for personal items.
- The larger clear bag must be made of clear PVC vinyl and is easily searched.
- Large traditional seat cushions that have pockets, zippers, compartments, or covers are not permitted. Clear seat cushions and seat pads without pockets, zippers, compartments, or covers are permitted.
- While coolers/ice chests are NOT permitted, an exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at a specified lane at each gate.
Wheelchairs can access all seating areas. Special wheelchair seating in the grandstands is available, with paid admission, but limited to first-come, first-served. Grandstand seating is not reserved, so first-level seating cannot be guaranteed. One seat may be removed from a box of 10 seats to provide space in that area. All other seating areas are readily accessible.
- Bags, purses, totes, backpacks & other types of baggage other than bags conforming to the new Clear Bag Policy will not be permitted.
- Weapons of any kind (regardless of permit) to include but not limited to: firearms, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), replica or toy weapons, pepper spray, mace, stun guns, and martial arts weapons.
- Outside alcoholic beverages.
- Ice chests or coolers that are not medically required.
- Pets, other than service animals.
- Glass containers.
- Bicycles, roller skates, roller blades, (kick and electric) scooters, skateboards, or hover boards.
- No personal drones (i.e. quad or hex copters) are allowed to operate on Federal Property or airspace.
- Lasers or laser pointers.
- Federally banned substances such as illicit narcotics.