Naval Base San Diego. Image from cnic.navy.mil

Updated at 12 p.m. Feb. 18, 2016

For a second time in as many days, a bomb threat prompted evacuations at Naval Base San Diego Thursday morning, but no harmful device was found.

The unknown perpetrator telephoned NBSD Building 36, which is part of a maintenance center at the Barrio Logan military station, about 7:15 a.m. and claimed that explosives had been planted there, Navy spokesman Brian O’Rourke said.

Base officials cleared everyone out of the structure and several nearby office facilities while FBI agents and a bomb squad searched the premises, finding nothing hazardous. The personnel gave an all-clear about 11:15 a.m., O’Rourke said.

The station remained while authorities searched the premises.

Late Wednesday morning, someone claimed via a handwritten note that a bomb had been planted on Pier 5 at the base, forcing a closure of that wharf and surrounding facilities. Military police investigated and found no threats.

No suspects in either crime had been identified as of late this morning.

“It’s all under investigation,” the spokesman said.

—City News Service

Show comments