Armed Navy personnel near Building 26 at Naval Medical Center San Diego. REUTERS / Mike Blake
Armed Navy personnel near Building 26 at Naval Medical Center San Diego. REUTERS / Mike Blake

Naval Medical Center San Diego resumed normal operations Wednesday after military investigators determined that no shots were fired before Tuesday’s lockdown of the sprawling facility in Balboa Park.

“Back to normal operations on a beautiful San Diego morning — providing our nation’s warriors and their families with the best patient care,” the hospital said on its Facebook page.

At approximately 8 a.m. Tuesday, a single witness heard three shots in the basement of Building 26, a combination gym, barracks and administrative facility.

The Navy immediately issued a “run, hide or fight” order as military police and local law enforcement converged the building.

“The intensive and thorough search of Building 26, as well as the grounds and additional buildings located on the grounds of NMCSD, did not reveal anything unusual after the initial witness report was made,” the Navy said in a statement late Tuesday afternoon.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman praised the handling of the incident by the Navy and local law enforcement.

“We’re all grateful that it didn’t turn out to be an active shooter, but if it had been, what you saw is we’re very prepared as a region,” Zimmerman said.

An investigation into the event continues.

Chris Jennewein

Chris Jennewein is Editor & Publisher of Times of San Diego.