The daily airstrikes by U.S. and coalition forces on ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq continued Sunday with a total of 23 reported by the Defense Department.
Operation Inherent Resolve, a multinational effort to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which the Pentagon refers to as ISIL but is commonly known as ISIS, began June 15, 2014. The following strikes were reported for Sunday:
Strikes in Syria
Fighter, attack, ground-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted seven strikes:
- Near Ayn Isa, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL structures and an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Hasakah, two strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Hawl, two strikes destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Raqqah, one strike struck an ISIL weapons storage area.
- Near Mara, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle, an ISIL heavy machine gun and two ISIL fighting positions.
Strikes in Iraq
Attack, ground-attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 16 strikes:
- Near Baghdadi, one strike denied ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Kisik, two strikes destroyed seven ISIL assembly areas.
- Near Mosul, three strikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying five ISIL fighting positions and denying ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Ramadi, six strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL staging areas, an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL fuel tank and denying ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Sinjar, one strike destroyed four ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Sultan Abdallah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL staging area.
- Near Tal Afar, one strike suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Beiji, one strike destroyed an ISIL petroleum, oil and lubricant cache.
A strike is definted as one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect. This can be a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle, or multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound.
Coalition nations conducting strikes in include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: