American forces, including the San Diego-based USS Carl Vinson, and partner nations continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq on New Year’s Day using manned aircraft and drones.
Officials with the Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve reported 12 airstrikes in Syria and 11 in Iraq and ISIL. Here’s a list:
Airstrikes in Syria
- Near Kobani, nine airstrikes struck a large ISIL unit and an ISIL fighting position and destroyed four ISIL buildings, 10 ISIL fighting positions, and an ISIL tank
- Near Ar Raqqah, two airstrikes destroyed 20 ISIL armored vehicles
- Near Al Hasakah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL armored vehicle
Airstrikes in Iraq
- Near Taji, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit
- Near Al Asad, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit
- Near Fallujah, three airstrikes struck a large ISIL unit and two ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a mortar system, an ISIL building, and a bunker complex
- Near Bayji, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL fighting position
- Near Al Qaim, three airstrikes struck an ISIL shipping container and destroyed an ISIL shipping container, a front end loader, and an armored vehicle
- Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL weapons cache and a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device
The coalition conducting airstrikes includes the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: