Cotton candy with ice cream. Cotton-candy topped donuts. Caramel glazed fries. And cinnamon apple rings.
With a theme of “How Sweet It Is,” the San Diego County Fair under way at the Del Mar Fairgrounds is offering visitors with sugar cravings all they can handle
Many of this season’s newest edibles are punctuated with vivid colors and super sweetness, and carry rainbow and unicorn names: Biggy’s Meat Market’s Rainbow cream cheese and jelly sandwich, Texas Donut’s Unicorn Donut and Pink’s Unicorn Dog.
Providing more eye candy are the multicolored sprinkles that top baklava, sandwich cookies and cinnamon apple slices.
And yes, there is deep-fried food galore, including filet mignon, chicken, pork, potatoes and fish.
Here is a sampling of the newest gastronomical offerings at the fair through July 4.
COTTON CANDY ICE CREAM SANDWICH
Chicken’s Charlie’s vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two discs of compressed pink and blue cotton candy and rolled in Fruity Pebbles cereal.
CHICKEN CHARLIE’S CHOCOLATE PASTA
Chicken’s Charlie’s chocolate-flavored pasta, tossed in Nutella and chocolate sauce and served in a red waffle cone bowl, topped with whipped cream, strawberries and fresh mint.
CHICKEN CHARLIE’S DEEP-FRIED FILET MIGNON
Chicken Charlie’s deep-fried filet mignon, a skewer of a half-pound of seasoned steak cubes underneath the deep-fried batter.
CHUCKWAGON BBQ COWBOY THREE-MEAT WAFFLE FRIES
Chuckwagon BBQ’s three-meat waffle fries with smoked pork, smoked beef brisket and two smoked ribs on top of waffle fries and nacho cheese.
CHUCKWAGON’S DEEP-FRIED CINNAMON APPLE RINGS
Chuckwagon BBQ’s deep-fried cinnamon apple rings with Granny Smith apples in sweet battered, fried and topped with whipped cream, caramel sauce and rainbow sprinkles.
GRILLED CHEESE-A-FAIR’S GLAZED DONUT BAR
Grilled Cheese-A-Fair’s Glazed Donut Bar Breakfast Grilled Cheese with sausage patties, bacon, egg and cheese between a glazed donut bar.
TEXAS DONUT’S UNICORN DONUT
Texas Donut’s Unicorn Donut with a large donut topped with strawberry sparkled gel, rainbow nerds and a ball of cotton candy topped with sugar.
TEXAS DONUT’S HONEY BAKED HAM DONUT
Texas Donut’s Honey Baked Ham Donut with a large donut glazed with honey, honey baked spiral cut ham and pineapple.
RENO’S FISH AND CHIP’S FISH KABOBS
Reno’s Fish and Chip’s Fish Kabobs, a tempura-fried skewer of cod, zucchini, onions and peppers.
PIGNOTTI’S PASTA’S CANOLIS
PIGNOTTI’S PASTA’S SHAGHETTI DONUTS
Pignotti’s Pasta’s Spaghetti donut’s consisting of bagel-shaped rings of compressed spaghetti and cheese topped pesto or marinara sauces.
BIGGY’S MEAT MARKET’ CARMEL CRACKED FRIES
Biggy’s Meat Market’s Carmel Cracked Fries with caramel topped French fries.
PINK’S UNICORN DOG
Other new fair food includes:
• Bacon-A-Fair’s pineapple slices soaked in Fireball whiskey, smoked, grilled and topped with bacon.
• The Mediterranean Booth’s baklava that is a bacon-variety quick-fried and topped with rainbow sprinkles
• Grinder’s Blue Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
• Sipper Cart’s Frozen pie slice and organic fruit cups
• And Steak Finger’s deep-friend pork loin sandwich
Healthier munching alternatives include:
• Bob’s Corn with fresh roasted corn
• Juicy’s grilled turkey legs
• Linda’s Pizza’s fresh salads
• Mediterranean Foods’s gyros, salads and pitas
• Pala Taco’s grilled fish acos, spinach wraps and salad
• Chicken Charlie’s chicken and beef kabobs or taboule salad
• Roxie’s artichoke sandwiches and falafel burgers
• And Albertsons/Vons Snack Shack with fruits and salads