It’s a global event, but you can contribute to causes and organizations that are unique to San Diego. Here are 10 suggestions:
1. Support local breakthroughs in medical research with a gift to the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute. The world-renowned institute combines fundamental research with drug discovery efforts in cancer, neuroscience, immunity, metabolic disorders and rare diseases.
2. Help other San Diegans succeed in the modern world by supporting the fundamental work of the San Diego Council on Literacy which helps tens of thousands annually learn to read.
3. Provide homes for veterans through Wounded Warrior Homes. The nonprofit’s “Full Force 4 Vets”campaign will provide 365 days of safe and secure housing, food, and comprehensive services for four veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress or traumatic brain injury.
4. Support music education and a new generation of performers with a gift to the San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory. SDYS helps train hundreds of young musicians annually by “making music education accessible and affordable for all.”
5. Fight hunger in San Diego with a donation to Jewish Family Service of San Diego’s Foodmobile program, which delivers hundreds of hot, kosher meals to homebound older adults and younger adults with disabilities throughout the week. The majority of the funds JFS raises on Giving Tuesday go to this program.
6. Show your support for the military by donating to Fleet Week, the annual naval parade and associated activities that make San Diego America’s preeminent military city.
7. Animals need our help too. Give to the Rancho Coastal Humane Society to support animal welfare and adoptions throughout San Diego County.
8. Support low-income and first generation students at San Diego State succeed in the university environment. Wesley House has been providing affordable housing for students in need since 2005.
9. It’s no secret that San Diego has a homeless problem. Father Joe’s Villages is providing innovative, individual solutions for ending homelessness, one life at a time, and needs your help.
10. Support contemporary art in our community by giving to the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego. The cutting-edge museum is open downtown (now with a show devoted to Latin American protest art) while renovating its main facility in La Jolla.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: