An 80,000-square-foot transit center is scheduled to open to the public Friday at the Westfield UTC mall in University City.
The Metropolitan Transit System plans to operate 11 bus lines from the facility, which will serve one of San Diego’s busiest business areas. The North County Transit District will also operate a bus at the site.
Ultimately, the extension of the trolley’s Blue Line will terminate at the facility, but that won’t be for another four years or so. Construction has been underway for several months from the Morena District to University City..
The $13.7 million transit facility, which was built with both public and private funds, is located off Genesee Avenue, with dedicated entry and exit lanes that will avoid private vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
Amenities include shaded passenger waiting areas, sign boards that display wait times, ticket vending machines, bicycle lockers and direct pedestrian access to the mall.
MTS employees will welcome transit riders to the new center with free donuts from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Friday.
Routes served by the transit center will be:
- 30 — UTC, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and downtown San Diego
- 31 — UTC, Miramar College
- 41 — UC San Diego, VA Medical Center, Fashion Valley
- 50 — UTC and downtown express
- 60 — UTC, Kearny Mesa, Euclid Ave Trolley Station
- 105 — UTC, Old Town
- 150 — UTC, VA Medical Center, downtown San Diego
- 201/202 — UTC, UCSD, UCSD Medical Center
- 204 — UTC, Executive Drive, Judicial Drive
- 921 — UTC, UCSD, VA Medical Center, Miramar College
The NCTD’s Route 101 will also stop at the UTC center.
— From Staff and Wire Reports
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: