With National Homeless Animals Day approaching and the cost of owning a pet ranging from $227 to more than $2,000, depending on the type of animal, WalletHub took an in-depth look at 2017’s Most Pet-Friendly Cities.
In order to determine where Americans’ furry and slimy companions can enjoy the best quality of life without breaking the bank, WalletHub’s number crunchers compared the creature-friendliness of the 100 largest cities across 21 key metrics. The data set ranges from minimum pet-care provider rate per visit to pet businesses per capita to walkability. Here are the stats for San Diego:
Pet-Friendliness of San Diego (1=Most Pet-Friendly; 50=Avg.):
- 51st – Veterinary Care Costs
- 22nd – Veterinarians per Capita
- 2nd – Pet Businesses per Capita
- 8th – Pet-Friendly Restaurants per Capita
- 14th – Dog Parks per Capita
- 30th – Walk Score
- 3rd – Animal Shelters per Capita
- 23rd – Pet Caretakers per CapitaWondering which city made the number one spot? The last? Check out the chart below:
Most Pet-Friendly Cities Least Pet-Friendly Cities 1 Scottsdale, AZ 91 Charlotte, NC 2 Phoenix, AZ 92 Anchorage, AK 3 Tampa, FL 93 Philadelphia, PA 4 San Diego, CA 94 Buffalo, NY 5 Orlando, FL 95 Santa Ana, CA 6 Birmingham, AL 96 Boston, MA 7 Austin, TX 97 New York, NY 8 Cincinnati, OH 98 Honolulu, HI 9 Atlanta, GA 99 Baltimore, MD 10 Las Vegas, NV 100 Newark, NJ
Other Interesting Stats:
- Columbus has the lowest average veterinary care costs (per visit), $33.25, which is 2.5 times lower than in New York, the city with the highest at $84.47.
- Miami has the most veterinarians (per square root of population), 88 times more than in Newark, the city with the fewest.
- St. Paul has the lowest monthly dog-insurance premium, $33.71, which is 2.4 times lower than in New York, the city with the highest at $80.78.
- San Francisco has the most pet businesses (per square root of population), 23 times more than in Laredo, Texas, the city with the fewest.
For the full report, please visit:
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: