The Del Mar Fairgrounds has struck an agreement to hold its first-ever cannabis festival, an event that is expected to be the largest ever held in San Diego County, The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting.
The Goodlife Festival, scheduled Sept. 23, could attract as many as 6,000 people, organizers told the U-T.
“The festival is the brainchild of Lawrence Bame of Westward Expos, which has put on home and garden shows at the fairgrounds for more than 30 years,” the U-T reported.
How the event got approved is unclear.
“The 22nd District Agricultural Association Board of Directors, which runs the Del Mar Fairgrounds, does not appear to have been aware that the deal had been inked for the Goodlife Festival,” the U-T reported. “Board president Russ Penniman was unavailable for comment on Monday afternoon. Board member Frederick Schenk said the board does not hear about events this far in advance.
“When asked about the festival Monday night, May 1, the Del Mar City Council was caught unaware,” the U-T report continued. “Councilman Dwight Worden said he wants to ‘look into it a little bit.’”
Organizers told the U-T that attendance at the event will be limited to age 21 and up, and there will be no selling, sampling or freebie giveaways of THC products; attendees will, however, be free to bring their own pot to consume in designated areas.
Proposition 64, which California voters passed in November, legalized recreational marijuana. However, cities and counties can still bar pot dispensaries and grow operations within their jurisdictions.
The Del Mar Fairgrounds is operated by the 22nd District Agricultural Association on behalf of the State of California.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: