Border Angel volunteer Hugo Castro makes trips to 18 Tijuana shelters three to four times a week. Photo by Chris Stone

Migrant activist Hugo Castro may be released from a Mexican hospital by early Sunday morning and returned to the U.S. for further medical treatment in San Diego, according to Enrique Morones, founder of Border Angels.

Enrique Morones, founder and director of Border Angels, speaks with Mexican citizens through a border fence. Photo by Chris Stone

“It looks like the worst part is over, but he still has a long road to go,” Morones said of the 45-year-old Castro, a volunteer coordinator for Border Angels who suffered injuries including a fractured skull, broken leg and multiple lacerations this week.

Morones, a U.S. citizen, and attorneys have worked with the U.S. Embassy to secure Castro’s release and obtain a humanitarian visa for his partner, Gabriela, to accompany him to San Diego. Morones said he hopes Castro can be put on a commercial flight back to San Diego.

“It may took take longer (than 12 hours), but it’s a good sign that they can release him,” Morones said. “He’s still in a very serious situation.

“It may take longer, but it’s a good sign that they can release him.”

Castro reportedly left his home in Tijuana on April 9, bound for Tapachula, Chiapas, where he would meet up with the caravan of the “Viacrucis del Migrante” on their way north of the Guatemalan border.

However, on April 13 Castro used his smart phone to air a chilling 20-minute video on Facebook Live after he found himself stranded on the side of a highway to Puebla in a crime-ridden area. It shows Castro on a busy highway, appealing for someone to pick him up.

On April 18, Mexico’s attorney general office said Castro was found on a street in Tlalnepantla de Baz, north of Mexico City, after the office of the special prosecutor for disappeared persons received an anonymous phone call describing his location.

Wilmer Metelus, president of the Citizens’ Committee for the Defense of Naturalized and Afro-Americans, who saw Castro on Tuesday, told a Mexican newspaper: “We believe it is a miracle of God that he is alive.”

On Saturday, Morones told Times of San Diego: “It’s going to take a while for him to recover. We still don’t know what happened to him. We are just praying for his return. We appreciate all of the help that people have been giving us.”

Castro has been working for Border Angels’ SOS Migrant program and takes food to 32 shelters north of the border.

SOS Migrant responds to emergency calls for help and reaches about 5,000 immigrants, including 3,500 Haitians in 32 shelters south of the border. Also helped are Central Americans fleeing violence at home and those deported from the United States.

Castro reportedly has received death threats in the past few months.

Show comments