With the New York Yankees in town, the Big Bay Boom fireworks and crowds expected at the beaches, the Metropolitan Transit System is increasing service and offering a special July 4 holiday promotion.
In recognition of the Independence Day holiday, one friend is allowed to ride free with a paying passenger on any MTS bus or trolley on July 4.
Here is an overview of the special services and popular bus routes to the beaches.
Yankees vs. Padres (Friday through Sunday)
- Pregame: All three trolley lines will depart all stations a minimum of every 15 minutes throughout the day. Green Line service will increase to every 7.5 minutes between Qualcomm Stadium and Petco Park beginning 90 minutes before first pitch.
- Postgame: Trains will depart the 12th & Imperial Transit Center every 15 minutes until at least 45 minutes after the game ends. Extra trains will be inserted as needed until crowds diminish.
Big Bay Boom (Monday)
- Pre-Fireworks: Enhanced service on the Green Line between Qualcomm Stadium and downtown San Diego will begin at 3:30 p.m. Trains will depart every 7.5 minutes until the start of the show at 9 p.m.
- Post-Fireworks: Frequent trolley service will resume on all three trolley lines after the show concludes, and MTS recommends attendees adjust their departure time after the show to avoid the immediate rush of people leaving the downtown area. Last trains on all three lines leave the downtown area around midnight.
Bus Routes to Beaches
- Route 8: Old Town – Mission Bay – Mission Beach – Pacific Beach. Runs every 15 minutes most of the day.
- Route 30: Old Town – Pacific Beach – La Jolla – UTC. Runs every 15 minutes most of the day between Old Town & Pacific Beach. Runs every 30 minutes most of the day between Pacific Beach, La Jolla & UTC.
- Route 901: Downtown – Coronado – Imperial Beach. Runs every 30 minutes most of the day on Saturday, 60 minutes all day on Sunday and Monday.
- Route 904: Coronado Ferry Landing – Hotel Del Coronado – Coronado City Hall. Runs every 15 minutes all day starting at 9 a.m.