Officials will join the public in celebrating the 100th anniversary of the La Jolla Recreation Center Saturday.
The center was donated by philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps, who lived next door, and it opened in July 1915. It was one of several gifts she provided to the La Jolla community, including the Children’s Pool at La Jolla Cove.
The area population at the time was nearing 4,000, about one-tenth the number of residents today, according to the La Jolla Historical Society.
The building, designed by Irving John Gill — San Diego’s most prominent architect in the early 20th century — recently was spruced up by members of the La Jolla Recreation Council. The structure received a historic designation in 1973.
The facility will be rededicated at noon, with a reception scheduled afterward. Children’s activities will include a petting zoo, bounce houses, ponies, magicians, live music, arts and crafts and strollers in period costume.
Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, and City Councilwoman Sherri Lightner are among the officials scheduled to attend.
—City News Service