Sunday’s sunny weather may afford the perfect opportunity to take in the fair’s Flower Festival in the Flower & Garden area and the Farm of Family Funville on the infield at the San Diego County Fair.
The Flower & Garden Show offers a relaxing and colorful exhibit with landscaping, floral design, specimen blooms and plants in the Paul Ecke Jr. Flower & Garden Show, presented by Think Blue.
Rare and unique plants can be see in landscapes, floral designs and vignettes. Landscape contractors, horticulturists, garden clubs, youth organizations and individuals will craft gardenscapes.
There is a complete schedule of events, exhibits at the fair online.
New events occur throughout the Flower & Garden Show:
- Sunday, June 7, it’s the Flower Festival where flower lovers, clubs, societies, schools and organizations can observe design demonstrations and enjoy their favorite blooms.
- Sunday, June 14: The 6th Annual Floral Design Competition gives designers a place to show their creativity and have the opportunity to participate in the Top Ten Competition of the California State Floral Association in October 2015.
- Sunday, June 20: International Hospitality Day featuring customs, food and more from neighboring countries. Wear your ancestral country’s traditional costumes and find others who speak your native language.
- Sunday, June 21: Master Teacher of the SAKURA IKEBANA GROUP, the Ohara School, and Jackie (Jingy) Zhang and her students will demonstrate more than 20 traditional ikebana floral arrangements on Ikebana Day.
- June 10, 12, 17, 19, 23, 26, 30 and July 3: In partnership with Balboa Park, the Flower Show and Fine Art Exhibit have joined forces to offer the “Floral Interpretation Contest”
- Sunday, June 28: from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., My Big Fair Wedding Day. The fair will host a live wedding ceremony for six couples and 19 vow renewals, with wedding officiant, altar arch, music, decorations, hair, makeup, appetizers, flowers, bouquet toss, wedding cake, cake-cutting and refreshments as well as pictures.
The Garden Show also offers:
- A one-fifth-scale model of the Botanical Building and the Lily Pond designed by a 3D Chalk Artist. The San Diego Sculptors Guild created a 15 foot rendering of the California Tower and will do tile-making demonstrations every day of the fair.
- Spanish Village Artists will create works of art right before people’s eyes as Spreckels Organ Pavilion organist Dr. Carol Williams performs daily at 5 p.m.
See Flower & Garden Show information, including schedules, entertainment and contests.
Sunday may also be a good day to share farm life with your children.Highlights at The Farm in Familyville (most events are at the Agri Fair in the infield):
- Friends of the farm
- Worm races at the farm
- Easy Composting with worms
- ABCs of the farm
- Goat milking
- Corn husking
- Banda MS on at the Heineken Grandstand Stage. Unreserved seats: Included with Fair admission
Reserved seats and standing room on floor: $16-$36 Buy tickets on Ticketmaster
The fair will be closed Monday, June 8 and Tuesday June 9.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: