Promoters of Bike to Work Day are hoping to log 25,000 commuting miles when the rescheduled event takes place on Friday morning.
The National Weather Service forecast for early Friday morning calls for clouds and and temperatures in the high 50s, but no fog or rain. The event was originally scheduled for May 15, but postponed because of rain.
Bike riders will be greeted at 104 pit stops, where they will receive a free t-shirt, refreshments, snacks and encouragement. A complete map of pit stops is online.
All pit stops will be staffed between 6 and 9 a.m. Some open as early as 5:30 a.m., and others will re-open in the afternoon to serve riders returning home from work. Some stops will offer extra incentives such as free bike repairs and bike tune-ups. Among the special pit stops are:
- The Coast Guard at 2710 North Harbor Drive will have a helicopter and boat on display.
- Clairemont Times will partner with Zico Coconut Water and Energy 103.7 FM at the Rose Creek Bike Path and Santa Fe Street.
- UC San Diego is expected to host the largest pit stop at the intersection of Gilman Dr. and Villa La Jolla Dr. in parking lot P406, just east of the Gilman Parking Structure, with free bike parking and vendor tents.
- The San Diego Zoo will host its always popular pit stop at 2920 Zoo Drive, with animal interactions, costumed characters, and complimentary chair massages.
- A morning pit stop planned by the San Ysidro Smart Border Coalition will be available for bike riders at the San Ysidro Trolley Station near the bike lockers.
The event is organized by SANDAG, the San Diego Association of Governments, the region’s public planning agency and a leading promoter of bicycling, public transit and other commuting alternatives.