A groundbreaking ceremony to mark the start of the renovation of the athletic track and field at the
Oceanside campus of MiraCosta College on July 18 at 2 p.m., 1 Barnard Drive, Oceanside, lower athletic field. Parking will be available in Lot 4C.
Construction for the $9.85 million project is expected to be completed in August 2020. It is funded through
MiraCosta’s capital improvement program using funds from Measure MM.
The renovation of the track at the Oceanside Campus will provide for a new soccer and athletics field along with a new 2,100 square foot Field House providing space for team rooms, changing rooms, offices for coaches, equipment storage, and new ADA-compliant restrooms.
The project will also include a two-lane walking and jogging path located around the perimeter of the
fields—a feature intended to provide a venue for the Oceanside community to use year-round. The path
will help create a small athletics field complex that better leverages the natural ‘bowl’ formed in the
topography of that portion of the campus.
The project includes a number of sustainable strategies:
• Clerestory windows in team rooms, changing rooms, and storage areas bring controlled daylight
into the interior. Large overhangs above the team room and office protect upper windows from
solar heat gain and direct sunlight.
• The Field House will be conditioned by highly efficient split-systems that are controlled by the
campuses building management system. With this controllability, the campus can ensure the
equipment be used efficiently throughout the year.
• The lighting control system contributes to energy savings and can be monitored and managed
remotely. This system is capable of dimming lights and cutting power completely from fixtures in
unoccupied spaces, which allows for significant energy savings.
• Storm water runoff is directed to a modular wetland system at the lowest point of the site, which
filters pollutants in the water through plant and soil media.
• The proposed landscape is drought tolerant and incorporates native California