Updated at 10 a.m. Dec. 15, 2015
No campuses in San Diego County were closed Tuesday following a bomb threat that prompted authorities to shut down all Los Angeles Unified Schools — more than 900 campuses — but local police were making extra patrols at some as a precaution.
No known threats had been made to any schools in San Diego County as of about 8:30 a.m., according to the San Diego County Office of Education. Earlier Tuesday morning, threats were made against schools in Los Angeles and New York City.
Officials with the San Diego Unified School District said city and district police officers would patrol local schools as a precaution. The announcement came after the LAUSD ordered all its campuses shut down and searched in response to an electronic threat that may have been emailed to the district from overseas.
Los Angeles school officials told parents to keep their children home and retrieve those already at school. Los Angeles Unified, the nation’s second- largest district, serves more than 700,000 students.
Officials in New York City said schools there received the same threat, but it was not believed to be credible, and campuses remained open.
The LAUSD closures came on a day when finals were scheduled at high schools, leading some students to speculate that a student fearing exams was involved.
Officials with the San Diego County Office of Education raised concerns about copycat situations because of the proximity of the upcoming holiday vacation and advised administrators to be especially vigilant in assessing any threats that may be received.
They also urged anyone who notices suspicious or threatening behavior to report it immediately.
— City News Service