An aircraft drops retardant over Clairemont Mesa West as crews battle a brush fire.
An aircraft drops retardant over Clairemont Mesa West as crews battle a brush fire. (Photo courtesy of San Diego Fire-Rescue Department)

Firefighters have gained control Tuesday over a blaze near Tecolote Canyon in Clairemont Mesa West that prompted evacuations, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Calls regarding the first-alarm blaze, at 5221 Mount Ariane Terrace, first came in at almost 5:05 p.m., with units arriving seven minutes later. By 6:45 p.m., crews had halted the fire’s momentum and officials said the flames, which had consumed three acres, were 50% contained.

Evacuation orders have been lifted for homes along 3400 Cowley Way, SDFD officials said, and a zone that extends to the north past Clairemont Community Park and Marston Middle School and to the south at Clairemont Drive and Hartford Street.

The eastern edge curves along Mount Acacia Boulevard to Field Street. The area includes a total of 500 structures, according to San Diego police.

The 3400 block of Cowley, though, will remain closed to traffic as firefighters remain on scene.

Warnings had been issued to residents in areas to the east of the initial evacuation zone, but they too have been lifted.

What began as a two-acre fire quickly spread, according to Watch Duty, a nonprofit fire reporting service, with structures on Cowley closest to the flames. The fire was said to be moving rapidly, but SDFD amended that just after 6 p.m., describing the flames as proceeding at “a slow rate of spread.”

The immediate SDFD response to the brush fire includes one division chief, four engines, four helicopters, an air tanker, three hand crews and two brush rigs, along with a total of 57 personnel. Chula Vista and Poway fire crews are assisting.

Watch Duty reported that Cal Fire had called for strike teams and fixed-wing aircraft.