Spring Valley apartment fire
Firefighters battle the blaze in Spring Valley. Courtesy OnScene.TV

A fire inside a Spring Valley apartment on Sunday afternoon left a dog dead, displaced six people and damaged three other units.

The fire was reported around 1:40 p.m. in a four-unit building at 9934 San Juan Street, San Miguel Fire & Rescue officials said.

A child told firefighters the blaze started in a Christmas tree inside the apartment.

The apartment where the fire started was destroyed. Two of the other units remain habitable.

Some 40 firefighters from San Miguel and other departments fought the blaze.

City News Service and OnScene.TV contributed to this article.

Chris Jennewein is Editor & Publisher of Times of San Diego.