Fumes from a broken natural gas line ignited outside a Spring Valley fast-food restaurant Thursday, creating a blowtorch-like plume of flame that prompted an evacuation of the business while utility crews worked to fix the fiery problem.
The non-injury blaze in the 8300 block of Paradise Valley Road was reported shortly before 1 p.m., according to San Miguel Fire & Rescue.
Emergency crews arrived to find flames shooting several feet into the air in a landscaped median next to a parking area at the KFC restaurant, said SMFR Division Chief James Marugg.
Deputies cleared everyone out of the East County eatery and away from the fire while San Diego Gas & Electric crews were en route, and firefighters doused the building with water as a precaution. Workers at nearby businesses were asked to remain indoors to be on the safe side, said sheriff’s Lt. Glen Twyman.
The utility personnel had the gas leak — and the resulting blaze, which caused no structural damage — halted by just before 2 p.m., Marugg said.
It was unclear what broke the gas line and how the escaping fumes ignited, which is a fairly rare occurrence, Marugg said.
Gas valve knocked off with flames pouring out of pipe. San Diego Fire working to stop fire at Spring Valley KFC restaurant. pic.twitter.com/MjWJkytJ4p
— 10news newstracker (@CreightonGinny) June 25, 2020
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: