Three men, including the one who fired the shot that killed Marcanthony Mendivil last year, pled guilty Friday. Photo via LinkedIn.com

Three men who took part in the shotgun slaying of a Pacific Beach resident pleaded guilty Friday to voluntary manslaughter and assault charges.

Carlos Yslas, Pedro Ramirez and Freddy Sosa had faced murder charges in the Dec. 29, 2018, death of Marcanthony Mendivil.

Mandivil, 44, died in a home in the 2300 block of Wilbur Avenue.

Yslas, 25, who admitted to firing the shotgun, faces up to 30 years in prison. The court scheduled his sentencing for Jan. 10.

Ramirez, 27, who faces eight years in prison, will be sentenced Jan. 10.

Sosa, 38, also faces eight years in prison. He will be sentenced Nov. 15.

A fourth defendant, Paul Charles Weinberger, 51, continues to face charges of murder and assault. He has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Nov. 18 and remains free on $1 million bail.

Prosecutors said that Weinberger lived in the residence where Mendivil died. However, prosecutors haven’t revealed a motive for the slaying, or the defendants’ relationships to each other and the victim.

Deputy District Attorney Flavio Nominati alleged during Yslas’ and Ramirez’s arraignment that both men entered the home masked and gloved.

Yslas threatened another witness with the shotgun, then fired twice on Mendivil, the prosecutor said. The men fled the scene in a vehicle, according to Nominati.

Police arrested Weinberger and Sosa the day of the killing. Yslas and Ramirez, already in custody on unrelated charges, were charged in February in connection with the killing.

– City News Service

Show comments