A battery suspect who passed out and died last month shortly after arriving at San Diego Central Jail succumbed to an accidental drug overdose, authorities reported Wednesday.
Deputies found 51-year-old Michael Leval Bush unconscious in a receiving cell at the Front Street detention center about 4:15 a.m. July 2, according to sheriff’s officials.
Jail staffers and paramedics tried in vain to revive Bush before pronouncing him dead about a half-hour later, sheriff’s Lt. Chad Boudreau said.
“The investigation showed Bush told (another) inmate … that he swallowed narcotics prior to being arrested,” Boudreau said. “An autopsy conducted by the Medical Examiner’s Office showed a plastic baggie was (in) Bush’s stomach.”
The postmortem exam found that Bush died of acute methamphetamine intoxication, and his death was ruled an accident, Boudreau said.
—City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: