A woman suffered burns Sunday in a house fire in Bay Terraces, as did her husband, after he rushed to help her, fire officials said.
The stove fire, inside a home on the 7500 block of Careybrook Lane, began about 3 p.m. Sunday. It may have been fueled by gasoline.
Authorities described the residents’ injuries as second-degree, or possibly third-degree burns. The female victim appeared to be the more seriously injured of the two. The male victim received his burns trying to extinguish the flames.
The husband used whatever he could find in order to help, San Diego Battalion Chief Brian Raines told NBC7 News.
“Eventually, there was water used from a bathroom,” San Diego police Lt. Mike Ramsay told the station. “But due to whatever was used (by the husband) part of the flash, part of the fire, his clothing caught on fire.”
San Diego Fire-Rescue Department and San Miguel Fire and Rescue responded and summoned arson investigators to the scene.
The UCSD Medical Center’s burn unit admitted the victims. There was no further word on their conditions.
– Staff reports
Updated 9:15 p.m. Sunday Aug. 11, 2019
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: