A fire Monday that caused $100,000 in damage to a home in Skyline was caused by, of all things, bird excrement, a fire official said.
Yep, bird poop was the culprit, plus a little help from the weather, San Diego Fire-Rescue spokeswoman Monico Munoz said.
“The bird excrement heats up and with just the right amount of wind and moisture, it starts a fire,” she said. “Some strange phenomenon.”
Strange indeed. The fire started shortly after 2 p.m. in the 8300 block of Noeline Avenue and was put out minutes later after firefighters arrived, she said.
A neighbor noticed the palm tree was burning in the backyard and alerted a teenager girl who was in the house. She evacuated safely with her dog and cat, Munoz said.
The fire had spread to the exterior wall and roof, but quick work by the neighbor and firefighters stopped the fire from reaching the inside of the home and the family was able to stay in their home Monday night, she said.
At first, it was thought to be an electrical fire, but firefighters narrowed the source of the fire to a birdcage by the fence in the backyard, Munoz said. Around eight to 10 birds died in the fire, she said.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: