Landscaping workers nicked a natural gas line in Oceanside Sunday, leading authorities to evacuate a home until utility crews were able to stop the gas leak.
The incident happened about 1 p.m. in the 1200 block of South Ditmar Street, near Ditmar Elementary School, according to Oceanside police Lt. Matthew Cole.
A worker accidentally struck the gas line while digging, causing gas to spew into the air for about 45 minutes, said Jess Specht of the Oceanside Fire Department.
A home directly in front of the leak was evacuated, Specht said. Firefighters also intended to evacuate another nearby home, but found it was already empty.
San Diego Gas & Electric workers shut off the gas line by 2 p.m., and the residents of the evacuated home were allowed to return, Specht said.
–City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: