firefighters at house fire
Firefighters on scene of the two-story house fire in the 7400 block of Bovet Way. Photo: OnSceneTV

Careless smoking sparked a blaze that caused an estimated $85,000 worth of damage at a University City home and displaced a trio of residents Friday, fire officials said.

The non-injury blaze erupted shortly after 11:30 a.m. in an upstairs room of the two-story house in the 7400 block of Bovet Way, just west of Interstate 805, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Firefighters were able to confine the flames to the second floor of the structure and had them extinguished within about 10 minutes, city spokesman Alec Phillipp said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the three adults who live in the home arrange for interim lodging.

Investigators set the monetary losses at $75,000 to the structure and $10,000 to contents.

The cause of the blaze was “smoking materials,” according to fire department spokeswoman Monica Munoz, who said she did not know if was a cigarette or some other type of smoldering item that was the source of combustion.

–City News Service