Oceanside Police cruiser. Photo courtesy Oceanside Police Department.

A second teen suspect in the shooting death of a 49- year-old man at an Oceanside park remained in custody Thursday, police said.

The 16-year-old Oceanside resident’s name was not released because he is a minor. He was arrested Aug. 31, two days after the shooting that killed Martin Swan, Oceanside police Lt. Aaron Doyle said.

It’s unclear if there are any other suspects in the shooting, Doyle said. An initial police report indicated the shooter in the slaying fled the scene with just one accomplice.

The suspected shooter, also 16, was detained at Tri-City Medical Center hours after the attack when he showed up for treatment of a gunshot wound, police spokesman Tom Bussey said last week. Hospital staff notified police and officers placed the boy under arrest, believing he accidentally shot himself during the killing.

The suspected shooter was believed to have gang ties, but it’s unclear if the second teen arrested last week also had gang ties.

Swan was walking his dogs with his roommate a little before 10 p.m. Aug. 29 when the teens confronted him, Bussey said last week. The reason for the confrontation was unclear or not disclosed by police, but during an ensuing quarrel, the 16-year-old gunman allegedly opened fire, fatally wounding Swan and shooting himself in the leg before fleeing with the other teen.

The teen suspected of firing the deadly shots was expected to be released from the hospital “within several days” and booked into juvenile hall on suspicion of murder, Bussey said. The second teen was still in custody Thursday, Doyle said.

—City News Service

Show comments