At least 10 people — five adults and five juveniles — fell ill Sunday in downtown San Diego, sending at least seven of them to the hospital, when they apparently ingested what police said may have been a bad batch of the synthetic marijuana drug called Spice.
The youngest patient was a 13-year-old, according to San Diego Fire Rescue Capt Joe Amador.
Officers responded to multiple medical aid calls from three different locations throughout downtown of people who became sick.
At 3:10 p.m., first responders were on the scene at 6th Avenue and C Street where four patients were transported to area hospitals, two in critical condition, Amador said.
The patients had symptoms varying from seizures to bloody noses, according to Amador. Multiple media reports also said some of the people who became ill passed out in the middle of the street.
Another call came in at about 3:30 p.m. from 14th and Imperial regarding two additional patients experiencing similar symptoms. People also reportedly became ill near 7th and Broadway.
It was not immediately clear if the patients were given a drug or took something voluntarily, Amador said.
This bad batch of the Spice drug was being sold in a black package with blue dragons on the side, according to San Diego police.
Anyone with information on the drug or its makers was asked to call the SDPD at (619) 531-2900. All tips can be made anonymously.
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: