Felony escape charges were filed against a man accused of assaulting seven women — some sexually — over a four-month period in North Park last year, a spokesperson for the District Attorney’s Office said Thursday.
David Angelo Drake II was bound over for trial last month following a preliminary hearing.
Two weeks later, Drake tried to escape from sheriff’s custody on the way to court, according to the District Attorney’s Office.
Drake, 24, was brought to court the next day and had his trial set for Nov. 16. He was charged last week with two counts of felony escape and one felony count of resisting an officer.
During the preliminary hearing, Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Tag told Judge David Gill that Drake is accused of attacking seven women from April 30 to Aug. 28, 2014.
Images of a potential suspect in the assaults were made public in late August last year, leading to a tip that resulted in Drake’s arrest.
The defendant was charged with 18 counts, including assault with intent to commit a sexual offense and sexual penetration by force.
Drake told a detective that he was a “sexual deviant” and the purpose of the attacks was to digitally penetrate the victims’ private areas, the prosecutor alleged.
DNA linked Drake to the assaults, according to Tag, who said a cell phone belonging to one of the victims was found during a search of his car.
Arraignment on the escape charges is scheduled for Tuesday.
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: